There’s good coffee. Then there are the exotic and flavoured ones that the cafes serve. And then, at the top, there is authentic, freshly made filter coffee which is unparalleled in its flavour and classic appeal. With its enchanting aroma and strong, invigorating taste, there is really nothing like a mug of fresh filter coffee to start your morning with. It will wake you up for good and keep you revitalised for the rest of the day. But to experience the best taste of it, one needs to know how to make something like an authentic Kumbakonam filter coffee.
Fun fact 1: Italian meaning of espresso is – Something Is Forced Out!
In this blog we’ll cover the nuances of making your fresh morning coffee, which will inspire you to feel fresh about the start of the new day and the various achievements that lie ahead!
How to make filter coffee South Indian style
South India has been known as one of the best regions for true filter coffee – with all its cultivations and a coffee culture that goes back in time.
Fun fact 2: In South India, there are many families that consumer upto 3 cups of coffee before 8.30 AM!
Kumbakonam filter coffee is a popular recipe with its unique preparation style. It is a sweet, frothy coffee made using pure, unadulterated milk of cow mixed with dark roasted beans and a small amount of chicory to add flavours.
There is a special and colloquial way of preparing filter coffee down south, which makes the brew stronger and even more delicious to taste. Here are the steps of how to make filter coffee at home.
This authentic filter coffee recipe requires:
- A coffee filter with a pressing disk
- A tumbler and davarah
- Milk, sugar and water
- Authentic filter coffee ground
- The filter of the coffee has two containers – the upper one has a perforated bottom to let the decoction pass through to the bottom. Pour coffee ground in this upper chamber and press it down to make it even with the pressing disk using the middle stem.
- Fit the upper chamber into the lower one and pour heated water into it. Leave it for brewing with the cover on.
- Meanwhile, heat required amount of milk in a separate pan and let it boil.
- The decoction should take 10-15 minutes to prepare. Once it is done, take two spoons of it in the lip-edged saucer called davarah and mix it with the boiled milk and sugar to taste.
- To bring the best flavor out of the coffee, this mixture needs to be swished back and forth from the davarah to the tumbler. It makes sure everything is mixed properly and also creates the natural froth much better than machine-generated ones. It also helps in cooling it down to drinkable temperature and aerates the brew.
- Once the swishing is done, serve the strong filter coffee in the tumbler placing it inside the davarah.
Fun fact 3: Coffee is the second most traded commodity in the world!
There are some other ways to make thick filter coffee decoctions. One way is the French press system.
French press is an Italian-made device with a glass or plastic beaker, a mesh filter and a piston. Water and coarsely ground coffee is mixed in the beaker jar and after pouring hot water, the ground is pressed with the piston to mingle with the hot water and make you the best filter coffee with French press. You can mix milk and sugar to the cup directly.
Another completely home-made process of boiling coffee in milk or water in a saucepan and ladling the brew out leaving the sediment below. This is a great way of making filter coffee without filter.
Fun fact 4: Shepherds accidentally discovered coffee in Ethiopia, while running their herds across bushy land!
Leo Coffee is one of the leading and best filter coffee powder brands of Bangalore and Chennai, as well as the other South Indian cities. Other popular names are Narasu’s Coffee and Rich Café of Chennai and Bayar’s Coffee, Rise Up Coffee and Cothas Coffee of Bangalore.
Here’s an old Advt of Leo Coffee featuring the great South Indian actor Arvind Swamy and the music by none other than Oscar Award winning A.R. Rahman. Brings back the memories so fresh, as that of a cup of strong filter coffee!.
Make every day of your life count and let a cup of fresh filter coffee energize you for that!
Please leave your comments below, if you want to share any anecdotes from your coffee experiences.